In order to make a real life version of the cartoon Alice dress, I decided to work backwards and start with the real life dress the was used to create the cartoon. The two dresses are actually not that different save a few simplifying alterations to make the animation drawing easier
Kathryn Beaumont
| The sleeves were also altered slightly to angle up the bicep rather than go straight across. I like the angled version |
![]() |
| back view of the dress |
![]() | |||
| Here you can see she is wearing two layers of petticoats. I want you to have at least three and it will be made of cotton, not tulle .
|
![]() |
| Turns out, her dress isn't COMPLETELY historically inacurate. Young girls did wear shorter skirts. |
Other pictures of note
![]() |
| The MacMillian illustration from 1865 commissioned by Lewis Carroll. This was his personal vision of Alice |
![]() |
| Note the presence of the Angel Wing sleeves on the pinafore and the pleating on the hem of the skirt |
Fiona Fullerton
![]() |
| SO THAT"S WHERE SHE GOT THAT BUTT THING FROM!!! |
Versions I do NOT like for this project:
Disney Park Version
| Though it's pretty and all, the Disney Park version is pretty boring, and you deserve better. The skirt is a non-gathered circle skirt, which can be more flattering, but other than that, makes it look flat. The pinafore is the barely there, and I don't like the scalloped lace edge. However, I don't mind the color or the length. |
![]() | |
| NOTHING LIKE THIS | No Mashups |
AND NO WAY TO ANYTHING LIKE THIS!!!

Making it special and bringing Alice to life
I want to keep the outfit true to the accepted vision of Alice, but make her more than just the cartoon by adding construction elements that would have been done in 1865.
English Smocking
English Smocking is a sewing activity that has been done for centuries, and still is done today, mainly in childrens clothing. It involves gathering of fabric and hand sewing designs to connect the pleats, usually but not always in a contrasting color
I think by adding this technique to the pinafore, I can make the Alice dress still look like the cartoon, but elevated and more interesting. It would make it have a history. Hand embroidering her apron would definitely be something that she and her mother could have done together in 1865. Adding heart, diamond, spade shapes, even with white floss, could explain why Alice dreamed up the card deck in Wonderland.
The Teacup Patterns
I think it may be interesting to incorporate your favorite teacup pattern into the skirt and the sleeves with satin cord.
![]() |
| I like this trim embellishment with a repeating pattern |
Cotton Petticoats, not tulle
The bottom of your pettis are going to be seen when you sit down, so I want them to be pretty.

Machine Embroidery that looks like Hand Embroidery
![]() |
| These are from a collection I already have and I am almost positive they are the actual ones I would like to use |
Images of dresses for young girls in 1865
Because why not try to add some historical accuracy?
Finally Sketches
This one should be called "You might as well stop now because I love this one"
![]() |
| More pronounced embroidery on the top, with period appropriate "chain stitch" large scale teacup pattern at the hem, |
![]() |
| Smocked top with hand embroidered designs and gathering. Has an Heirloom quality to it as it can only be done by hand. |
![]() |
| Just another period appropriate silhouette. One we can easily say no to. |
![]() |
| A more simple smocking area only at the front to give it an old timey look without taking up too much current time to make. |





































